Saturday, December 20

67 days later...

I've been busy, I swear. I've been knitting too. Mostly just busy though. The only reason I've even writing now is because I have no actual plans for 17 days. I heart the holidays.

During this busy semester, I joined a choir, and we gave 2 concerts. Joy!! I had forgotten how much I loved to sing - in a group, not solo. I met a lot of amazing women and I'm trying to move the class I teach in the Spring so I can continue to sing. Here's hoping!

At the beginning of November, we went to visit a friend on Shelter Island, which is at the east end of Long Island. Monty had his first ferry ride.

Actually, he had 4 ferry rides in 2 days. And a nice long walk out onto an amazing peninsula. It was a great weekend.

He seemed scared to slide off the painted turtle and wouldn't hold still. Oh well.

Also at the beginning of November, I received my second PRGE package from LifeJunkie.
PRG2
An amazing collection that I will surely use in the new year. I was also more timely in responding to LifeJunkie to thank her for her generosity - this blog is WAAAY behind the times.

The Thanksgiving holiday was full of friends, family and food. So. Much. Food. Also, being a vegan made it interesting. Everyone around us was VERY considerate. I did get to see the sausage stuffing, boiled kielbasa and roasted turkey though, so don't think I missed out. A good time was had by all.

Right after the holiday - maybe as a stress reliever - I got a new tattoo.
TatOut
Introducing:
Joyce, at the top, and Angelina, knitting on the tree stump. These are two girls created by Henry Darger in his posthumously discovered 15,145-page, single-spaced fantasy manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion.

We have a book about Darger that contains a number of the illustrations from this work, and I love them. I love looking at the colors and tracing the altercations and wars. After looking at this book so much, I decided to get the tattoo done with two of the girls that refer to me. Angelina, the knitter, is obvious. Joyce, the flower child, is for my music side, since I plan to have the roses colored for the music fraternity that I belong to. Altogether, the whole tattoo is based on a visual art that I respect and admire.

That said, I love that Darger was pretty crazy. From Wikipedia:
"In 1968, Darger became interested in tracing some of his frustrations back to his childhood. It was in this year that he wrote The History of My Life, a book that spends 206 pages detailing his early life before veering off into 4,672 pages of fiction about a huge twister called "Sweetie Pie," probably based on memories of the tornado he had witnessed in 1908."

Make of that what you will.

1 comment:

kasiaiscarly said...

that tat RAWKS! are you leaving it an outline or coloring it in?